Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Am i a "kid-dult"?

Let me just say this in response to all the commotion when it comes to the government's effort to raise the number of child births each year :

I'M NOT READY.

Not because i am a "kid-dult".

Not because both my parents are still working and they have told me explicitly they don't want my money (least not yet).

Not because i don't handle my own utility and expense bills. (I handle every single one of my own bills which includes mobile, adsl, insurance, and two of my family's extra bills for entertainment.)

Not because i am very comfortable staying with the family with roof, food, warmth and love.

But simply because i am not ready. I don't think the government wants more dysfunctional families here in Singapore. And i am not about to bring a kid into this world to potentially suffer (if i have one now) cos i am not finally and emotionally ready or able.

Trust me it is not that i don't like kids. ALL my friends can vouch for the puddle of mush i turn into when a young toddler waddling like a duck at the early stages of learning how to walk or in the arms of the parents googling away. I even go to the point of stopping the conversation in a snap of the finger when my eyes spy a baby or kid around me and my friends will be left and abandoned in no time at all. But going all goo goo ga ga over babies and kids is different from having one or two or more of your own 24/7 for the rest of your life.

Right now, i have plans to work toward getting a stable career and relationship before i even think about bringing another life into this world. The world is a cruel place, bringing a life into this world just because i can now enjoy more benefit is just plain wrong.

Kudos for the government for encouraging the people in Singapore to have more kids, but then again it's high time the mom was given a longer maternity leave. Though whether or not it takes off well is another thing. After all how many employers we know in Singapore are known to understand and give their female employees adequate maternity leave with a decent wage package.

Also, don't make it a women's thing when it comes to pregnancy and giving birth. So only females and females alone have the physical capabilities. But glares from me from those men who even think to suggest that women go thru a BMT style of regime to psycho us to have more kids. OI! Fricking wake up, men! Having a kid is no more your responsibilty than a woman's. If you want to enjoy what your dad had in his days, make a time travelling machine and go back and enjoy for all i care. Cos nowadays, there is no way in hell my husband can push all the responsibility on me. No way will my husband (like my dad) comes home from work, shower, have dinner, thanks the me and plops himself in front of the tv. Then expects me to cook, clean, wash up after him and look after the kids. Nuh uh. Share. Share. Share.

Then again, that's what the general population of the men here love to do - make women feel inadequate.

No comments: